My Top Tips for Living as an Empath
What’s an Empath?
An empath is a person with the ability to feel and understand on a deep level what another person is experiencing. You feel their pain or anxiety as though it were your own feelings. And, whilst it is a beautiful gift to be able to have a level of empathy and compassion for what another person is feeling, it can be very overwhelming.
Until I discovered I was extremely empathic, my anxiety levels were through the roof. As well as my own feelings, I was feeling and absorbing the anxiety of those around me too.
Signs You May be an Empath
So here are a few signs that you may be an Empath too:
- You struggle with large crowds
- You suffer from emotional and sensory overload
- You struggle to set boundaries with others
- People often confide in you
- You need to spend time in nature
- You need ‘recharge’ time after social interactions
- You have great intuition
- If you pick up on negative energy, it can overwhelm you and even make you feel ill
Does this sound like you? If so, it is really important that you learn coping strategies to protect yourself.
Tips for Living as an Empath
Here are my top 5 tips to help you navigate life as an Empath...
Protect Your Energy.
Each morning imagine a gold bubble starting at your crown chakra/top of the head coming down over you and encompassing you in a beautiful golden bubble of protection. If you’re feeling particularly sensitive, do this before entering a crowded space like a supermarket.
Clear Away the Negativity.
Make sure you smudge yourself on a regular basis. This helps to remove any negative energy from your aura (energy field). I smudge daily when I get home in the evening, just with an incense stick to get rid of any negativity I’ve picked up during the day.
Here’s a link to my blog ‘Smudging - Why and How?!?’ if you want to learn more.
Use the Power of Crystals.
You can use crystals to absorb negative energy around you or to protect you. Crystals like Black Tourmaline, Tigers Eye or Smokey Quartz are good choices. Smokey Quartz has the ability to absorb and transform any negativity into positivity energy. You will always find me wearing or carrying a crystal to protect myself.
Make Space for Recovery Time.
Often we don’t allow ourselves the space or energy to recoup from social interactions as we are always on the go. But this downtime is essential to your well-being so, particularly after an event or social gathering, allow yourself some space. It is important to take time out to practice self-care.
Grounding is a spiritual term that refers to centring your soul within your body and, in turn, connecting with Mother Earth. When these connections are strong, you will feel safer and more secure; connection with the earth will stabilise and strengthen you so you can cope better with the impact of everyone else’s feelings.
The simplest way to ground yourself is to go outside and stand or lay on the grass for a few minutes. Eating can also be very grounding – consuming root vegetables such as parsnips, potatoes, opting for heavier foods such as whole-wheat pasta and bread, and adding warming spices such as ginger, garlic and cinnamon. There is a reason it’s called comfort food!
For more information on Grounding, have a look at this blog ‘Do you need to ground yourself?’
Though being an empath is an amazing gift, it can definitely take its toll on you. This is why it is so important that you check in with your energy levels regularly, and take the steps necessary to protect your energy.
Thank you for taking the time out to read this blog. Please feel free to share your experiences with me and any personal tips that you use too – I would love to hear from you!
Here are some of the ways I can help you;
1. My ‘Unleash your M.A.G.I.C™’ Monday Show If you want to be notified by SMS when I go live click here, I’ll be sharing lots of tips for manifesting your dream life, overcoming obstacles, self-doubt & fears and how to start hitting those goals #UYMwithCheryl
2. My FREE guide ‘How to Embrace your Inner Witch to Manifest Abundance’ shows you the white witchy ways you can add a little extra magic to your manifesting with Crystals, Moon Magic, Herbs and more! Click here to get your copy.
3. Unleash your M.A.G.I.C™ The Journal The perfect journal to assist you in manifesting the life you truly desire! Get started by ordering your copy here!
5. Want my eyes just on you and your business? Let’s delve deep - uncover exactly what’s holding you back and clear through those blocks! Heartstorm your business, get you fully aligned, set those goals and make all that good sizzle happen! Find out more about my 121 Coaching and Unleash your M.A.G.I.C™ The Programme here!